Are you or someone you care about having trouble getting in and out of a chair? If this is becoming an issue then you might want to consider purchasing a power lift recliner (also known as power lift chair). These lift recliners can provide a lot of relief and freedom for those that no longer have the strength or energy to get in and out of a chair multiple times a day. Thankfully there are a lot of options when you are in the market for mobility equipment, both in traditional stores and online. We have been assessing power lift chairs for clients for years and have a number of suggestions to help you avoid any costly mistakes when you go to find a chair of your own.
Below you will find some important things to consider when selecting your electric lift chair:
Lift Chair Recliner Positions
When you start evaluating lifting recliners you should first decide what position is most desirable. Chair position options are:
- 2 Position – 2 position chairs are the most basic option. They are capable of reclining to a 45 degree angle and anywhere in-between. So really, these aren’t only capable of 2 positions as you can set your chair anywhere between straight up and down and a 45 degree angle. If you don’t want or need a full recline these are a fine option.
- 3 Position – 3 position chairs do everything a 2 position can do, but can go to a full recline position. They do not go all the way flat though as there is a slight V shape when in this position.
- Infinite Position – The most notable feature of infinite position chairs are its dual motor system. This allows the foot rest and back rest to move independently. 2 and 3 position chairs have only one motor. This means the foot rest can only come up when the back rest is reclined. Infinite position chairs can move either to any position. These chairs are great for those who love to nap or want to sleep in their recliner.
- Zero Gravity – These are amazing chairs. Zero gravity lift chairs have seats that can tilt and raise like electric seats often found in cars. This means that you can align your back to reduce pressure on your spine. This helps to keep your back muscles relaxed, increase your lung capacity and improve blood circulation.
Choosing an Electric Lift Chair For Your Body Size and Type
Don’t just buy the first electric lift chair you see. One of the most important factors to consider is your body type and size. If you buy a chair that is too big your legs will not be able touch the floor when sitting. When looking at chairs, consider the following:
- Seat size
- Seat width
- Seat height
Here is a chart that should help with your search:
|Under 5′||Between 5′ and 5′3″||Between 5′4″ and 5′10″||Over 5′11″|
|Under 300 lbs.||20″ x 18″||20″ x 19″||21″ x 19.5″||23″ x 20″ or 23″ x 22″|
|Under 350 lbs.||23″ x 18″||27″ x 19.5″||27″ x 19.5″||29″ x 22.5″|
|Heavy Duty||33″ x 21″ or 29″ x 21″|
Once you know what height and weight you are looking for you can start to narrow down your choices. Seat widths go up to accommodate more weight. The higher the seat, the taller the person it can accommodate. When shopping you will be able to get these measurements from the retailer.
Another important choice is your fabric. Leather looks great, but if you tend to sweat or your home is hot, then leather may not be the best choice. Another popular choice is micro-suede which breathes and is usually more comfortable, but can stain and won’t last as long as a leather recliner.
Ultraleather is another option that we like. It is stain-resistant, 13x more durable than other options and is resistant to temperature change making it comfortable in all weather conditions.
Consider Your Living Space
Do you know where you are going to put your chair? If you have a small living space or will your chair be against a wall? There are models that have a different sliding mechanism that can open in a forward fashion allowing you to put it against a wall. Most models open up backwards while they slide out which can hit a wall if it is too close.
Addition Features To Consider
Some of the more expensive models have other features that may be of interest depending on your needs and budget. There are some models that come with massage, vibrating or heat features that some clients swear by. You can even find some with cup holders, pockets and other accessories. Here are a few others you might want to consider:
- Heat and massage options
- Arm or head covers
- Removable arm rests
- Tray tables
- Extra fabric or pillows
How Does a Lift Chair Work?
Lift chairs are were made to help people feel more in control of their environment. Giving them freedom to get up and out of a chair without a struggle is blessing for many elderly people in North America. Getting from a standing to a relaxed and seated or laying position with ease is a very important day-to-day activity that we take for granted.
Electric recliners are typically controlled with a remote that is connected to the unit. They are generally very simple to use with one or two buttons. One control for moving up or down and on Infinite chairs you will also find a button for your foot rest.
Who Manufactures the Best Lift Chairs?
There are four popular companies in North America that make power lift chairs and they are:
- AmeriGlide Accessibility Solutions
- Golden Technologies
- Pride Mobility Products
- Easy Comfort
Each has a large selection of models to choose from. Check out the selection from each before making a decision.
Where Can I Buy One?
Most cities have a medical aid and mobility stores have lift chairs for sale where you can browse and talk to a dealer about your specific wants and needs.
One place we like to recommend to our clients is the US Medical Supplies website. There you will find information about each of the chairs offered from the manufacturers mentioned above at the best prices. They carry an excellent selection to choose from and have outstanding customer service. We recommend our clients to do their research with them as they have an amazing selection and back their chairs up with amazing care and support.
Used Chair Lifts – Should I Buy One?
Let’s face it, lift chairs can be expensive; you might be tempted to purchase a used one from Craigslist or other local used provider. This might save you a bunch of money up front, but may not in the end. If you do find a used lift chair you are interested in, find out if there is still a warranty and whether or not it is transferable. If it is, then you’ve found yourself a good deal. If not, I’d recommend staying away from it as you may end up having to purchase a brand new one down the road.
Top 4 Lift Chairs
1. Catnapper Power Lift Chair
- Woven velvet fabric
- Infinite reclining positions
- Weight capacity: 350 pounds
- Steel seat box with 50-60 individually-wrapped coils
- Electric power lift
- Side pocket for storage
- Hand wand to adjust recline and lift function
- Dimensions: 42″ x 40″ x 43″
Comfort is the name of the game with this power lift chair. The cushion helps relieve pressure points thanks to the gel-infused foam. Sitting on this chair is like sitting on a cloud.
The button backrest and sturdy roll arms allow you to kick back and relax in comfort. With the touch of a button, this chair can move into a full reclining position.
A hand wand makes it easy to adjust the chair’s position. There’s also a convenient side pocket to store magazines and more.
The chair’s feet can be adjusted to ensure that the chair is level with your home’s flooring.
If you’re worried about durability, you’ll be happy to know that all of the chair’s mechanisms are backed by a lifetime replacement warranty. The electric motor is backed by a 5-year warranty.
- People who need to sleep in their lift chair
- People who want to watch TV or eat in the chair
- Anyone who wants a full reclining function
- People with limited mobility
Not Ideal For
- People who prefer leather upholstery
- People who want cup holders
If you prefer a chair with leather upholstery or want a model that has cup holders, this chair may not be the right option for you.
The Catnapper power lift and recliner chair allows you to enjoy the comfort of a full recliner and the convenience of assisted standing. With a durable frame and a comfortable cushion, you’ll enjoy years of use in this chair.
2. ProLounger Lya Cream Renu Leather Wall Hugger
- Renu leather exterior
- Power lift and recline function
- Wall hugger design
- Weight capacity: 300-pounds
- Dimensions: 43″ x 35″ x 37″
Built to last, this chair’s frame is constructed with laminated hardwood and the reclining mechanism is made out of heavy-duty steel. With a weight limit of 300 pounds, this chair can accommodate most users with ease.
The wall hugger design of this chair means that it takes up minimal space in your home. You can place this chair close to the wall (within 4″) and still use the full reclining function.
The lift mechanism is quiet and smooth, and you can move directly into a reclining position with the touch of a button.
The cushions feature a polyester fiber and high-density foam material as well as independently-encased coils.
- People who prefer a leather-like fabric
- Those with smaller spaces
- People who want power reclining and lift functions
- People with mobility issues
Not Ideal For
- People who need pocket storage
- People who want cup holders
If you need pocket storage and cup holders, this chair may not be a good fit for you.
The ProLounger offers a sleek design, comfort and a quiet lift feature. While simple in design, this chair has a modern look and won’t take up too much space in your home.
3. Power Lift Real Leather Lift Chair and Recliner
The Power Lift chair is the best lift chair for people who want a modern, sleek look rather than the outdated lift chair design. Made from real leather, this chair looks more like the reclining chairs you find in high-end furniture stores.
- Solid wooden frame
- Reclining function up to 135 degrees
- Real leather exterior
- Remote control lift and recline
- Dimensions: 34.65″ x 37″ x 43.31″
- Storage pocket on one side
- Cup holders on both arms
This contemporary, elegant chair has a solid wood frame for extreme durability, and its easy assembly makes it a great choice for people who live alone.
The chair features a single motor, and reclines back up to 135 degrees. The backrest and the footrest work together to put you in a comfortable position when you recline back.
Extra padding is built into the cushioning to allow for a more comfortable experience while adding support for your back and neck.
When you’re ready to get up out of the chair, simply use the power function to move yourself up and forward. The simple remote control function makes it easy to power this elegant lift chair.
Suitable for both home and commercial environments, this lift chair can be used by people of all ages and mobility levels. It even looks great in a home office.
With dimensions of 34.65″ x 37″ x 43.31,” this chair is just the right size to fit into most rooms with ease.
- Those with mobility issues
- Anyone wanting a sleek, modern lift chair
- Those who plan to watch TV or eat while sitting in the chair
- Anyone wanting a reclining function
Not Ideal For
- People who need storage pockets on both sides of the chair
- People who prefer fabric upholstery
If you need pockets on both sides of the chair, this model may not be the right fit for you. And if you prefer chairs with fabric upholstery, this Power Lift recliner is not the ideal choice for your home.
The Power Lift chair is comfortable, durable, easy to assemble and features a modern look. Most lift chairs have a dated look, but this model can easily blend in with any home’s decor, and the convenient cup holders make it easy to enjoy your favorite drink as you sit and without having to reach across a table.
4. Coaster Home Furnishings Power Lift Recliner
- Velvet fabric exterior
- Remote control lift and recline function
- Dimensions: 30″ x 31″ x 34″
- Weight: 125.4 pounds
The Coaster Home chair was designed with comfort in mind, and features plush cushions that provide support in all the right places. The velvet texture of the fabric makes this chair soft and easy to clean.
Included with the chair is an easy-to-use remote control that allows you to control the lift and reclining function. Both the back and the footrest recline, so you can lay back for a nap or therapeutic rest.
A convenient storage pocket is located on one side of the chair to keep the remote safe. The remote’s cord is attached to the interior of the pocket, so you never have to worry about losing it. There’s also space to store other important items, like books, magazines and TV remotes.
The armrests feature a plush cushioned design for added support and comfort. The smooth reclining and lift function is quiet and makes it easy to get up and out of the chair.
- People who want a classic power lift chair design
- Those with severe mobility issues
- People who want a power reclining function
Not Ideal For
- People with small homes
The Coaster Home power lift chair is a little on the large side, so it may not fit in smaller homes or rooms.
Because the chair is large and heavy, it’s best to have someone help you move the chair inside and assemble it after delivery.
With that said, this chair is comfortable, easy to use and comes with a remote for simple lift functionality. The velvet texture adds to the comfort and cloud-like feel of this chair, while the larger size accommodates a wide variety of users.
A reclining power lift chair will provide you or a loved one with the comfort they crave without robbing them of their independence. The lift feature of the chair makes it easy to get up and out, while the reclining function allows for maximum comfort. Those with aches and pains will appreciate being able to recline and relax in the chair.